Monday, December 20, 2010

Sarah Palin is Not the Problem

It happened most recently in a conversation I was having the other day with a wonderful woman who was in at least some degree of upset - my perception was it was a relatively high degree - about something Sarah Palin had said or done and, more to the point, how much she represented, for this woman, so much of what is not right in our world and at least in our politics. She had a lot to say or, at least, I think she did, but I cut her off before too long (ever so gently, I hope) and then launched into a rant about how any degree of focus on Sarah Palin or any of what was so wrong was, ultimately, not very helpful. At all. In fact, all it does, all it can ever do, is guarantee that the problem persists because in a world where everything is energy and the law of attraction is always on, no amount of moaning about what what isn't right will get us any closer to what is wanted. Which is why we have to be able to say what we want which is why I have begun the What Do You Want, America? series in this blog.

Having had ample time to rant and rant some more to someone who was brand new to me and Spiritually Responsible Politics, I also said much about the connection between who we are individually and who we are collectively, even as I spared her a dive into too much of her own personal stuff. But what was most remarkable to me, as we strolled around for a while and morphed our conversation into another, she ended by thanking me for easing her fears about the world and, if I got it right, changing her perceptions about Sarah Palin. Now I did not, specifically, intend any of that. But what I find remarkable - in this situation and so many others - is the degree to which people respond to the ways in which these concepts help everything to make sense. For that was what we were really talking about - the ways in which these concepts show up anywhere and everywhere. She was lighter and smiling and I didn't try to convince her of anything nor did I try to tell her she was wrong about anything. All we did was couch her anxiety and fear and anger in the context of a few of these concepts and, voila!

I'm just sayin', is all.

No comments: